Herndon Woods Homeowners Association

Annual Meeting Minutes

November 10, 2014

 

 

Members present: Abdul Manraj (President), John Farmer (Treasurer), Tara Reddy (Secretary), Dave Nolan (Member At Large).

Management Company Representative present: Jack Schwab

Number of homeowners represented (including 3 proxies): 12

 

Call to Order

The meeting was held at the Herndon Fortnightly Library and called to order at 7:04pm.

 

Roll Call (Determination of a Quorum)

Article II, Section 2.7 of the Bylaws of the Herndon Woods Homeowners Association (HOA) refers to “The presence in person or by proxy of a Quorum of Owners…” Article I, Section 14 of the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions of the Herndon Woods HOA contains the definition of “quorum” which is 25% or 11 homeowners present. 12 homeowners were represented, so a quorum was established.

 

Proof of Notice of the Meeting

A notice of the meeting and proxy form were mailed to all homeowners on record. Homeowners present at the meeting acknowledged that they received the notice.

 

Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting

Jack Schwab distributed copies of the previous annual meeting minutes. All homeowners present read the minutes and they were unanimously approved.

 

President’s Report

Abdul Manraj, President stated that for majority of the year, the community had minimal issues. There was a recent concern related to the maintenance and property line between 505 and 507 HWC. The Management Company escalated this issue with our lawyers for guidance. The attorney advised that it is a neighbor to neighbor issue and not a Board or Management Company issue. The Board and Management Company agreed that going forward, the common consent of maintaining property lines will continue as it has in the past, and if neighbors cannot agree on the aesthetics of the property, then it becomes a matter of staying within property lines.

 

Treasurer’s Report

John Farmer, Treasurer stated that 83% of the budget is complete while 86% of this year’s budget has been spent. It was noted that the HOA fees have not increased for the past 3 years. In order to keep up with increasing maintenance costs, it was recommended that the HOA fees be increased by 10%.

 

HOA Fee

Single Family Homes

Townhomes

Current Fee

$130.00

$153.00

New Fee

$143.00

$168.00

 

There was a vote to approve the FY 2015 budget including an increase of the HOA dues by 10%. All were in favor except for one proxy (who noted on the form that he did not want an increase in HOA fees).

 

Review of Reserve Fund Schedule

There was discussion that there is some rotting of the actual sign with an estimated 4 years remaining on the lifetime of the sign. It is at this point that the sign itself would need to be replaced at an estimated cost of $5,000. Concrete gutters & walks and asphalt paving have an estimated 14 years remaining on each of them and would cost approximately $30K to redo in the future.

 

Disposition of Excess Funds

The homeowners present agreed that any remaining dollars from the 2014 budget should be allocated to the 2015 operating budget.

 

Open Forum

There were three topics mentioned during the open forum:

 

1.    There is a Member At Large positon that will be expiring in 12/2014. Currently there are 2 vacant board positions open (Vice President & Member At Large). There were no residents interested at this time in filling those positions.

 

2.    One resident expressed her “dismay” regarding the recent issue related to yard maintenance and the property line between 505 and 507 HWC and how it was handled overall. While the Board acknowledged her dismay regarding the situation, the Board reminded the residents that by common consent and due to the way that the townhouse property lines are marked, neighbors typically maintain a thin strip of the neighboring property for as long as the community has existed and never before has this been a contentious issue. The Management Company escalated this issue with our lawyers for guidance. The attorney advised that it is a neighbor to neighbor issue and not a Board or Management Company issue. The Board and Management Company agreed that going forward, the common consent of maintaining property lines will continue as it has in the past, and if neighbors cannot agree on the aesthetics of the property, then it becomes a matter of staying within property lines. The Board explained that some common consent language would be drafted for our attorney to review. It was requested by the resident that drawings be submitted to the attorney when the language is being drafted. The Board will review this and it may be added to the HOA Handbook.

 

3.    One resident expressed her concern regarding the Bradford Pear trees and the small berry-like fruit and flowers that fall from them, thus making cleanup a cumbersome problem. She also expressed concern regarding the size of the trees themselves.  She recommended that as a community, we do something to address the problem. She recommended establishing a tree removal fund that residents could participate in. Currently, 504, 508, 512, and 516 HWC have Bradford Pear trees in their front yards. Jack Schwab agreed to seek a quote to see what costs are involved for the removal of just those trees along with a quote for removal of the all the Bradford Pear trees in the area. No decision was made on a tree removal fund (which would need to be optional) as this becomes a property to property issue where the responsibility of tree maintenance / removal would fall upon the owners.

 

4.    One resident asked how often the website is updated. Abdul mentioned that it is typically updated on a quarterly basis when meeting dates and minutes are posted. She also questioned why our email addresses were requested. Abdul explained that the email addresses are with the Management Company only and used as another form of communication with our residents, since some homes are rented and email is sometimes more efficient for reaching homeowners. The resident recommended that email blasts may be a useful form of communication for residents in the future.

 

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 8:45pm.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

Tara Reddy

Secretary

 

 

Action Item

Assigned To

Timeline

Jack to research a quote for removal of Bradford Pear trees.

Jack Schwab

By next HOA meeting